Monday, September 7, 2009

Sharing airspace with a B-17


August 30


I woke up to a weather report typical for this area. Concord's weather was VFR with 10 miles of visibility and a ceiling of 6,000 feet. Unfortunately, everywhere else wasn't (and it wasn't forecast to get any better). Steve and I exchanged texts and agreed to meet at our local Starbucks for our usual 'hangar flying' coffee klatch. When we aren't talking about flying, we typically are discussing photography, another of our mutual hobbies. As we were discussing equipment, Steve mentioned his intention to go to the airport after our meeting to photograph the Liberty Belle, a restored B-17 that tours the country and was visiting Concord.




The Liberty Belle has been a frequent visitor to Concord over the last few years. In fact, while I was training, my instructor and I taxied directly behind the B-17 Flying Fortress. Fortress - what a great name for an airplane, eh? An even better call sign. ATC calls it "Fortress Zero Tango Hotel" (the N number for the aircraft is N390TH).



Anyway, Steve and I drove to the airport to take a few pictures. When we arrived, the B17 was open for people to board and photograph. Though I've seen this plane a number of times, I've never been aboard. I was taken by how small the interior really was. Everything centered around the bomb bay - not surprising for a bomber of course. I climbed to the cockpit and took a few pictures. If I ever figure how to post pictures here, I'll add one or two. The cockpit was surprisingly familiar.



After about 1/2 an hour, they started to prepare for the first of many flights for the day. Those not taking the first ride (a 20 minute ride was something like $400) stood about 30 yards away as they boarded the plane and then started the 4 radial engines - very impressive. Fortress 0TH taxied to runway 20 and after a short run-up, was thundering down the runway. Steve and I both took a ton of photos - I haven't had time to do anything with them yet.



After the B17 was out of sight, invited Steve to go take a few laps in the pattern - was was in the mood to fly and it was VFR over Concord, just nowhere else. Steve declined, so I walked out to Aggie, gave her a quick pre-flight, climbed aboard and started her up. Because of the spotty weather and the lack of a NASCAR race that weekend, the airport was pretty quiet (except for the B17 of course) or so I thought. As soon as I finished my run-up, a jet started to taxi behind me. I was cleared to take off and before I was airborne, the tower instructed me to make my crosswind turn when altitude and speed allowed. At mid-field, I was still climbing when the tower asked me to make a close approach due to incoming traffic. It had to have been the shortest lap I've ever made at Concord and it certainly didn't feel right. The crowd awaiting the return of the B17 got to see my rather rushed touch-and-go. The second lap wasn't much different - ending with another close approach. The third lap was much more normal. As I lined up on final in lap 3, I noticed a crowd pulled over on the side of Poplar Tent road just off of the end of the runway and recognized Steve's car. Of course, they were waiting on the B17 to return, but I figured Steve would take a few pics of my landings (he did). Right after that landing, the B17 returned.



I stayed in the pattern as the B17 reloaded and got ready for another passenger flight. I was making what would be my last lap and was on downwind when the Fortress requested takeoff clearance. I was instructed to yield to the B17 and hold my landing a bit. I chuckled to myself - yeah, I'll yield to the bomber. I told the tower, "I'll always yield to the pilot with a cannon" and landed right after the 17 lifted off. It was an honor sharing airspace with such a bird.



I got 10 landings out of the morning, most of which were pretty smooth. I parked Aggie on the ramp and headed home to start on my honey do list. What a fun way to spend a Sunday morning.