Sunday, July 20, 2008

A special treat flight

A close friend has two dear friends who are facing the reality of Alzheimer's. They are married - the wife is the one afflicted with this horrible, mind robbing disease. Through my friend, the husband asked if I could take them up for a ride. I was happy to make it happen.

So, this morning Aggie and I took off for Union, SC, a place I clerked out of Law School. Union is only about 20 miles from where my wife and I lived while I went to Law School - Chester. Union is also famous, or infamous, as the home of Susan Smith, the young woman who killed her two boys by letting her car roll into a lake with the boys strapped in the car.

I took off into a hazy summer sky and asked for flight following. Charlotte departure routed me south of the Charlotte airport before allowing me to turn on course. As a result, I flew directly over Chester, SC (KDCM - formerly 9A6). As I descended toward Union, I flew over Lockhart, a small mill town where I officiated a number of HS football games years ago.

The Union County airport, (35A) is a tiny place, with a 3k foot runway and little else. Aggie and I plopped down and I taxied to pick up the couple. The 4 of us (if you include the plane) flew over the couple's house, and then turned toward Chester. I figured I'd pull into the FBO there and gas up and allow my passengers to experience an additional landing. However, as we approached, another Arrow was entering the pattern and announced he was landing on Runway 23. I decided if that was the active runway, I'd set up for 23 as well. The pilot of that Arrow and I got to talking and he advised as I was still approaching that the FBO at Chester wasn't likely open yet, but that there was a small food stand associated with the skydiving school there that had pretty good food.

So, we got on the left downwind for 23 and prepared to stop for a bite. As I looked down at 23, I was reminded that the Chester airport has been known for years to have pretty lousy runways. The kind of asphalt runways that needed mowing - I'm not kidding, they mowed them. A few years ago however, they did get enough funding to re-pave one of the 2 active runways. Unfortunately, Rwy 5-23 wasn't the one re-paved. So, I asked the guy who had just landed how bad the runway was. He said if you stay on centerline, it was fine. So, taking him at his word, I lined up on 23 and came in to land. As I approached, I noticed that Rwy 23 hadn't been mowed in a while and really needed it! Nevertheless, I flared over the runway and put down one of my better greaser landings. In fact, the pilot of the other Arrow made a comment on the radio while we were still slowing down about how the landing was.

Anyway, we taxied back, parked and got out. We met a few of the proprietors of the skydiving school and true to the word of the other pilot, there was a food stand preparing fresh, hot food. I ordered a breakfast burrito to go, and we loaded up to head out. I decided we would taxi down Rwy 23 to get on Rwy 17-35, the one with the new pavement! We took off and headed back to Union.

The flight back was uneventful. I dropped my passengers off, got some gas there at the self-serve pump, and headed back for Concord (KJQF). The flight back was hazy. I asked for flight following from Charlotte as soon as I was 1,000 ft AGL and I'm glad I did because 2 minutes later I was being advised of traffic 200 ft below me, 2 miles, and 12 o'clock. I turned North and climbed. I didn't see the other plane until it was 1/2 mile away -- he passed behind and below me, but close enough.

Anyway, the controller at CLT was really busy. She turned me to the North and I figured I would be going well out of my way to get home. However, she turned me East to head over the CLT airport and uptown. I snapped a few pictures over each and thanked the controller for the more direct routing. When I picked up the ATIS at JQF, I heard the familiar voice of Adam the ATC controller who had retired from CLT last year. Adam is something else - he sings more than he speaks and his radio calls are so full of joy you can't help but smile. When I get him on the radio, I try to respond with the same enthusiasm.

JQF was busy as I approached. A C-172 was landing in front of me, a helicopter was behind, and a Lear 31A (Joe Gibbs Racing) was holding short of the runway waiting to take off. I followed the Cessna in, taxied to the ramp and shut it down.

Oh, I forgot - another gremlin. The PTT on the pilot side failed during this trip. Another thing to have my A&P look at - it seems it's always something dang it!

I rewarding day for me - I got to bring smiles to the faces of a couple of people who really need it and I got to fly. 2.5 hours of flying, a fantastic breakfast, and new friends. A good day!